Advancing your professional success can be achieved by earning your Certified Paralegal credential. In order to apply for the CP program, a paralegal must first be eligible. Once an applicant has been approved they will then proceed with taking the CP Exam.
Please be aware that certification is voluntary, and not imposed by the government. It is time limited, which means that those who choose certification must fulfill ongoing educational requirements to keep the certification.
THE CP EXAM
The Certified Paralegal examination is a comprehensive assessment based on federal law and procedure. Successful completion of both the Knowledge and Skills Exams are required to obtain the Certified Paralegal credential. There are two sections of the examination as described below:
- KNOWLEDGE EXAM
- Multiple choice questions
- Administered on-demand, year-round
- Must successfully pass in order to be eligible to take the Skills Exam
- SKILLS EXAM
- Written assignment (essay), submitted electronically
- Administered during four testing windows: February, April, July, October
- First Time Candidates:
- NALA Members = $250(nonrefundable exam fee)
- Non-Member = $275(nonrefundable exam fee)
- Retake Candidates:
- $60 (per subsequent attempt for each Knowledge and Skills exam, nonrefundable)
View the CP Exam Booklet for a complete description of the program.