- About NALA
- About Paralegals
- Affiliated Associations
- Career Center
- Join NALA
Legal Support Manager - posted 8/23/19
Legal Support Manager - posted 8/23/19
International Refugee Assistance Project
The International Refugee Assistance Project (“IRAP”) is a dynamic and growing legal, policy, and advocacy organization that works to develop and enforce a system of legal and human rights for refugees and displaced persons around the world. We are the first organization to provide free and comprehensive legal representation to refugees through registration, protection, and resettlement processes. Since IRAP’s establishment, we have helped to resettle more than 4,000 individuals to 18 countries.
IRAP operates offices in the U.S. (New York), Jordan (Amman), and Lebanon (Beirut). Our legal services are supplemented by a corps of pro bono lawyers from leading U.S. and international law firms and multi-national corporations, and by law students who have created IRAP chapters across the United States and Canada. Through this work, we aim to assist refugees and other displaced persons to find safe passage and to transform the landscape of refugee rights in the U.S. and internationally. We are a growing, nimble organization staffed by an innovative and collaborative team that is committed to high standards of quality and close partnerships with our clients, peers, and colleagues.
IRAP’s Legal Department includes over 20 staff who provide individual legal assistance to refugees and other displaced persons around the world. Our U.S.-based staff provide legal assistance to individuals navigating the refugee recognition, resettlement, and visa application process through their mentorship of pro bono teams, in-house representation, and legal information and pro se materials.
IRAP is seeking an experienced Legal Support Manager with strong problem-solving, customer service, management, and organizational skills to work with a growing team of attorneys and staff who assist refugees and other displaced persons by advocating on their behalf and supporting a network of volunteers to represent them pro bono. The Legal Support Manager works closely with the attorneys in IRAP’s New York City office, reports to the U.S. Legal Services Director, and is responsible for supporting case docket management systems, providing administrative support, coordinating interpretation services, and supervising a small team of legal support staff.
- Reporting to the U.S. Legal Services Director, the Legal Support Manager will:
- Provide administrative support to the U.S. Legal Services attorneys, including: uploading and maintaining data in the Legal Services Department’s case docket management system; organizing and preparing case files for in-house representation and/or for referral to pro bono attorneys; proofreading, redacting, and submitting documents; and organizing meetings
- Manage, and in consultation with Legal Services Department leadership and supervising attorneys, improve and streamline the Legal Services Department’s case docket management processes to transfer appropriate responsibilities to the legal support team and allow attorneys to work more efficiently
- Supervise and mentor legal support team staff, including: overseeing workflow, evaluating and managing performance including setting goals and objectives, providing mentoring and professional development opportunities, making recommendations for promotions and compensation adjustments, handling discipline, and responding to grievances from staff under their supervision
- Support the U.S. Legal Services team in coordinating translation and interpretation services, including onboarding contractors, volunteers, and third-party companies to meet a wide range of language needs
- Support recruitment and hiring process for any new legal support staff
- Liaise with the IT team to ensure consistent and high-quality data entry and use
- Liaise with staff from international offices and other IRAP departments to develop and implement best practices for Legal Services case management
- Carry out other ad-hoc duties, as assigned
This is a full-time position based in IRAP’s New York City office.
Salary: $80,000 per year
Requirements or Qualifications:
- Minimum of two years of legal assistant, legal support, or paralegal experience with at least one year of supervisory experience
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree preferred
- Exceptional communications and collaboration skills with a proven ability to work with colleagues across programmatic areas
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to manage multiple incoming tasks and prioritize a wide range of duties
- Demonstrable record of problem-solving skills, ability to work individually in a self-directed manner and as part of a team with varying roles and priorities
- Sensitivity to client empowerment and to working with clients of all backgrounds, including LGBTI clients, survivors of trauma, and other vulnerable populations
- Experience using case management or docketing software
- Experience working with legal or humanitarian organizations and/or familiarity with the legal immigration field is preferred
- Fluency in oral and written English. Our clients predominantly speak Arabic, Farsi, Dari, Pashto, and Spanish, and speaking one or more of these languages is a plus
- Must be based in New York City
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references at https://podio.com/webforms/13697370/924405?fields%5Brelated-job-opening%5D=1204587396. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue on a rolling basis.
IRAP believes that diversity is critical to fostering a strong workplace and serving our clients well. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences in the communities that we serve, members of other marginalized communities, and individuals whose identities are underrepresented in the legal profession. IRAP offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits including healthcare and retirement plans, a flexible work schedule, and vacation and sick leave.