- About NALA
- For Paralegals
- Affiliated Associations
- Career Center
Deputy City Clerk - posted 11/19/19
Deputy City Clerk - posted 11/19/19
City of Hermosa Beach
$65,748 to $79,920 annually
The Deputy City Clerk plays a lead role in administering the day-to-day operation of the City Clerk’s Office. Duties of this position include:
- Attend evening City Council meetings to take and transcribe minutes;
- Provide information interpreting and explaining City records, ordinances, laws and procedures;
- Compose and prepare correspondence and records;
- Receive claims and lawsuits served on the City;
- Processes contracts, including monitoring of insurance policies;
- Revise and maintain City Code of Ordinances;
- Research files to provide information to city staff, officials, and the public;
- Assist in preparation for and conduct of elections;
- Maintain a file on all Council actions, ordinances, resolutions, contracts, agreements, encroachments, lien deeds and easements;
- Supervise publications of legal notices and ordinances and administers contract with newspaper;
- Maintain files and distribute various codes and forms for reports required under the Fair Political Practices Act.
- The hired staff member will work Monday through Thursday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Requirements or Qualifications:
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school. Associates Degree in Public Administration or a related field is desirable. Certified Municipal Clerk is preferred. Must be able to qualify as a Notary Public and must be bondable.
- Three years of increasingly responsible experience performing complex administrative support duties in a municipal government setting, two of which must have been in a City Clerk’s Office providing professional administrative support. Experience must also include frequent contact with the public.
- Knowledge of: operational characteristics, services, and activities of the functions, programs, and operations of a City Clerk’s Office; office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases;; principles of business letter writing and report preparation; customer service and public relations methods and techniques; principles and procedures of record keeping and filing; methods and techniques of proper phone etiquette; English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Ability perform a full range of varied complex, sensitive, highly responsible, and confidential office administrative, secretarial, advanced clerical, and routine programmatic support functions of a general or specialized nature in support of the City Clerk’s Office with only occasional instruction or assistance; type or enter data at a speed necessary for successful job performance; plan, lay out and supervise office procedures and filing and record systems; operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications; review work for accuracy and completeness; learn and interpret rules, regulations, laws an processes; make decisions in procedural matters; work effectively with the public and function in situations requiring tact, diplomacy and discretion; understand and carry out oral and written directions; write effectively; perform shorthand or speed writing is highly desirable; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective professional working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Please see our website for details: https://bit.ly/37cLQmW
Application Due Date:
December 12 2019