- About NALA
- For Paralegals
- Affiliated Associations
- Career Center
Corporate Paralegal - posted 10/25/19
Corporate Paralegal - posted 10/25/19
This exciting opportunity is a hybrid position, primarily requiring strong corporate paralegal and administrative skills to support six corporate and compliance attorneys and help oversee the team administrative assistant, located at Markel Corporation’s headquarters in Glen Allen, Virginia. Assist Markel’s corporate and compliance legal staff in all aspects of corporate governance, transactional and compliance matters and with document preparation necessary to comply with federal, state and local regulations in the conduct of Markel’s business activities.
- Assist with corporate and insurance company board and committee meetings, including meeting arrangements, preparation of meeting materials and meeting minutes.
- Assist with Corporate Secretarial functions, communications with stock transfer agent, management of registered agents, administration of stock programs.
- Assist with corporate SEC and NYSE filings, including 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, 13Hs, 13Gs, 13Fs, Form SD, and NYSE Annual and Interim Affirmations.
- Section 16 filings for corporate officers and directors, maintain beneficial ownership records, obtain and maintain EDGAR filing codes and confirming statements, and maintain calendar of filing deadlines.
- Assist with the preparation and submission of the annual proxy statement.
- Draft organizational and charter documents (formations/incorporations, mergers, dissolutions/withdrawals, name changes, stock certificates, operating agreements, bylaws); obtain entity EINs through the IRS.
- Assist with complex projects involving document management skills, including due diligence for corporate acquisitions and financings, litigation discovery, and preparation for transaction closings.
- Maintain legal intranet and entity management database, including entity information, officer and director lists, corporate charter documents and organization charts.
- Assist with maintenance of board portal.
- Perform internet-based factual and legal research.
- Prepare and distribute quarterly conference call press release and coordinate call date and time.
- Prepare initial drafts of routine documents, secretary certifications, audit letters, NAIC Biographical Affidavits, board/shareholder consents and meeting minutes.
- Work with non-insurance companies to ensure successful relationship with registered agent and assist with entity management database queries.
- Help oversee, and work closely with, team administrative assistant in providing administrative support for team, including telephone support, filing, scheduling, travel arrangements, letter writing, document processing, membership renewals, routing service of process to appropriate individuals and bill processing and payment.
Requirements or Qualifications:
- Paralegal certificate from an American Bar Association (ABA) approved program required
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
Work Experience/Skill Set:
- 5 years of current public company corporate experience as a paralegal or legal assistant in a law firm or corporate law department required.
- Experience working with senior executives, attorneys and clients in a demanding corporate environment with access to highly confidential and proprietary information
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and willingness to learn other programs
- Experience/proficiency with matter management, document management and billing management systems a plus
- Excellent research and written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational, time management and problem-solving skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures
- Ability to follow oral or written instructions, work without close supervision, and clearly impart information to others
Please apply at the following link: https://bit.ly/2JlCOtC
5 years of current public company corporate experience as a paralegal or legal assistant
Application Due Date:
November 01 2019