|NALA, is a member-driven association. It is only as strong as its members and only as active as these members are involved in their profession and professional association. Individual members join NALA for a variety of reasons. Primarily among these reasons is the opportunity for involvement in a number of activities that speak to their individual concerns as a professional. These activities include NALA's efforts in the following areas:
- Recognition of the paralegal profession
- Identification of those within the profession
- Establishment of professional standards
- Research of the growth and development of the profession through nationwide surveys
- Involvement in professional issues including becoming involved in cases affecting the paralegal career field
- Access to cutting-edge CLE programs designed specifically for paralegals
Click to download an application form for NALA membership (pdf format)
If you would like to apply for membership using the on-line forms, click here:
Active Membership Form
Associate/Sustaining Membership Form
Student Membership Form
Qualifications for Membership
In addition to NALA's involvement in professional issues, membership in the association provides many tangible benefits including:
- Access to NALA NET, the profession's only on-line library of case law, legislative activities, and bar association activities
- Membership bulletin board and electronic mail to enhance networking opportunities
- Subscription to FACTS & FINDINGS, NALA's bi-monthly journal featuring how-to educational articles for paralegals
- Annual Career Chronicle, serving as the profession's annual report, this "year-in-review" publication highlights significant developments and research findings affecting the paralegal career field
- Participation in specially designed continuing education programs at reduced rates, including on-line seminars at NALA Campus
- Participation in NALA Annual Membership Forum and Annual Membership Meeting at no cost.
Each of these programs, publications, and events are described on the web site.
NALA prospers because of the involvement of its membership and contributions of its volunteers.
NALA Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility
Each NALA member agrees to be bound by the association's Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility, Violation of the canons of ethics is grounds for removal of membership.
Click here to review the NALA Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility. The NALA Code of Ethics is a document that is adopted by the membership of NALA. Any changes to this document must be approved by the NALA membership during the annual membership meeting.
The NALA Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility is also referenced by the NALA Model Standards and Guidelines for Utilization of Paralegals. This document is reviewed annually by the NALA Professional Development Committee, and substantive changes are approved by the NALA membership. The model was created as a guide to employers for their use in developing paralegals within the firm or corporation. This is a handy tool for employers, as well as paralegals in describing how paralegals may be used in the workplace.
Becoming Involved in NALA
NALA members have many opportunities to become involved in the association and its activities. From submitting an article to Facts & Findings, to serving on a committee, and to serving on the board of directors, the association provides a variety of ways for members to become involved. The hardest part is starting -- if you would like to become involved, start by contacting a member of the NALA board in your area or a chair of a committee in which you are interested. Attending a NALA convention and meeting fellow members is another great way to start. Finally, participating in the NALA Conference Center is a terrific way to meet NALA members and learn more about the association's activities.
Becoming involved in your professional association is a great way to challenge yourself professionally, as well as contributing to your career field.