Chicago, Illinois 60603
BUSINESS LITIGATION PARALEGAL
Thompson Coburn LLP currently has a position available in our Chicago office for a full time paralegal in the Business Litigation practice area. Qualified applicants will possess a minimum of 3 years of general commercial litigation experience. Trial preparation, trial support, and previous experience in a law firm environment are required. Preferred candidates will have a Bachelor degree and previous experience with foreclosures and bankruptcy matters. Ideal candidates will be detailed oriented, show initiative, possess strong organizational skills, be enthusiastic and work well independently. The person selected for this position must be able to work closely with a diverse group of people in a fast-paced environment.
- Assists with all aspects of deposition and other discovery preparation, trial preparation, pre-trial compliance, preparation for jury voir dire, trial, post-trial and appellate proceedings, including preparation for oral arguments, case strategy conferences and preparation and filing of motions and briefs electronically or manually.
- Reviews, analyzes and drafts discovery requests and responses, subpoenas, notices and other court pleadings and documents, including summarizing transcripts and medical records.
- Identifies, investigates, collects, analyzes and organizes factual evidence, including deposition and witness outlines, and deposition and trial exhibits.
- Identifies potential expert and/or factual witnesses and advises attorney regarding same. Reviews, analyzes and selects documentation to prepare witnesses and conducts conferences with or takes statements of witnesses and potential witnesses.
- Participates in the creation of databases, performs data entry, conducts database searches and generates reports.
- Identifies, calendars and complies with regulatory agency or court-imposed schedules and orders in accordance with local, state and federal rules and regulations, including coordinating and negotiating scheduling of case events such as depositions and conferences.
- Conducts legal and factual research including investigating factual issues by review and analysis of documents, telephone interviews and field investigation.
- Creates and manages organizational systems for case documents and document productions.
- Assumes responsibility for operation of trial support technology.
- Delegates assignments and case-related work to other paralegals, litigation clerks, staff employees and/or temporary employees at the appropriate level of competence to complete the assignment or task in an acceptable and timely manner.
- Cite-checks and blue-books briefs and prepares exhibits for same.
- Communicates with client and other parties and advises attorney regarding same.
This position has the following requirements:
- Must possess a high level of professionalism and interpersonal skills so as to be able to work well with employees at all levels within the organization and maintain all information in the strictest of confidence. Required to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with others.
- Must have ability to read, write and communicate fluent English; ability to compose documents in the appropriate business style using correct grammar and spelling; ability to communicate clearly using proper grammar and diction over the telephone.
- Must be detail oriented and have excellent organizational skills; ability to balance multiple projects, work independently and have strong time management skills, as well as prioritize work load.
- Must have ability to reason and apply common-sense understanding to situations encountered.
- Ability to process routine daily functions while being able to resolve sensitive issues and complex assignments utilizing above average critical thinking skills.
- The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee in order for him or her to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to:
- remain in a stationary position the majority of the work day;
- be able to move about inside the office to access various items;
- must be able to elevate and transport items up to 25 pounds; constantly operate office machinery including but not limited to computers, computer mouse, hand held devices, and copy machines
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
- Minimal travel required.
Thompson Coburn LLP is a large, full service, multi-state firm with offices in Chicago, St. Louis, Southern Illinois and Washington D.C. At Thompson Coburn, our behavior and the expectations we have of ourselves are guided by the values that we hold in the highest regard: integrity, a passion for excellence, a focus on serving the client, a value of diversity, innovation, creativity, trust and loyalty. Within the Firm, we value each other as people and colleagues. In addition to the exceptional working environment and a competitive salary, Thompson Coburn provides the following benefit options to qualifying employees:
- Medical and Vision Insurance through United Healthcare
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance & ADD policies
- Short & Long Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Firm paid 401(k) & Profit Sharing plans
- Transportation Benefit
- Section 125 Plan (Pre-tax premiums, dependent care and medical reimbursement)
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Firm Sponsored Wellness Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Long Term Care
Applicants interested in applying to Thompson Coburn LLP are required to complete our application, which can be found by visiting the site below.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Thompson Coburn LLP